Beans are full of plant-based protein, fiber, and vitamins. We were in search of the ultimate bean-based recipe and we created just that with the help of Elizabeth from @Confinemnt_Kitchn. Despite the name, this dish contains no butter and is a vegan, gluten-free delight!
- 1 tablespoon O-Live olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can rinsed butter beans
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes (cherry/heirloom)
- 1 cup water
- Handful of micro-greens
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian dried herbs
- Dried red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a saucepan to medium-low heat and add olive oil.
- Warm the oil and add minced garlic until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add tomato paste and half the water. Sprinkle in seasonings and let simmer for 1 minute.
- Add butter beans and let simmer for 1 more minute.
- Add fresh tomatoes, micro-greens, and the rest of the water and simmer covered until the sauce thickens: about 5-10 mins. (If it simmers too long, and the beans get dry, add more water and simmer for another minute until thoroughly warmed with the right consistency).
- Serve over pasta, rice, or quinoa or in as a starter or side in a small ramekin with crisp bread or crackers for dipping.