Pizzas are SO last year! This Fall, galettes are all the buzz! Here's our current favorite: Caramelized Onion Galette with Goat Cheese by @NattEats.
Whole Wheat Crust
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup O-live & Co extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup + 1-2 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten for egg wash (optional)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut sugar fresh thyme for garnish
- sea salt, black pepper
Herbed Goat Cheese
- 4 oz goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs or 2 tsp dried herbs such as thyme, basil, rosemary
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oil, salt and 1/4 cup water. Stir to combine. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water if the dough is too dry.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for around 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add sliced onion and stir gently. Cook for about 8 minutes until the onions soften. Then, addbalsamic vinegar, coconut sugar and salt. Cover and cook the onions, for about 15 minutes until golden brown and softened, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together softened goat cheese and herbs.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Roll out your dough into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Then transfer the dough to a non-stick baking sheet. Spreadthe goat cheese on the bottom and layer caramelized onions in the center of the dough, leaving a 1 1/2 to 2-inch border all around. Gently fold over the pastry border. Brush the folded edges of the crust with the beaten egg yolk.
- Bake the galette until the crust is fully cooked and golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly before slicing.