It's caramel season - and we are here for it! We're mentally preparing to put caramel in and on everything in sight for the next few months, starting now with this olive oil salted caramel sauce. It's made with only 5 ingredients (and water). Perfect on apples, baked goods, and even in fancy lattes! Recipe created in collaboration with Erin (@ForgetMeNotFood).
- 1 cup (220 g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/3 cup O-Live olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of coarse sea salt
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, whisk together sugar and water and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once boiling, stop stirring. Boil with lid off until the mixture turns amber in color, about 25-28 minutes. In the meantime, you can gently swirl the pan to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the pan from the heat and immediately whisk in heavy cream, olive oil, vanilla extract, and salt. Be careful as the mixture bubbles. You will need to stir for at least 5 minutes to get everything to emulsify. It will seem like the mixture is not going to combine at first, but just keep stirring and stirring and eventually everything will be well-combined.
- Allow the sauce to cool, then add additional salt to your liking, then enjoy!