Preparation Time40 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
For the chicken:
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) chicken, excess fat trimmed and giblets removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, zested in large strips
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil O-live
- 1 tablespoon honey
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Extra Vrigin Olive Oil O-live
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
PreparationFor the chicken:
- Season the chicken cavity with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stuff the chicken cavity with the shallot, half the thyme, and lemon zest.
- Set a v-rack or regular rack in a roasting pan, and brush chicken with a bit of the olive oil.
- Whisk the honey and remaining oil in a small bowl. Dip the remaining thyme in the mixture and use it to brush the chicken all over with the honey mixture.
- Season bird with salt and pepper, to taste. Tuck the wings under the back, cross the legs, and tie them with kitchen string.
- Place the chicken breast side down on the rack and roast until the back is golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and turn the chicken breast side up.
- Cut the string where it holds the legs together and open up the legs a bit.
- Baste the chicken with the pan droppings, using the thyme sprigs as a brush.
- Roast the chicken again until the breast is golden brown and a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 170 degrees F., 20 to 25 minutes more.
- Transfer the chicken to a carving board, and let it rest 10 minutes before carving.
- Remove the rack from the roasting pan.
- Put the pan over medium-high heat, add the water, and stir with a wooden spoon to release the brown bits that cling to the pan.
- Strain the pan drippings into a small bowl and spoon off the fat.
- Whisk in the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, shallot, thyme, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Carve the chicken and serve drizzled with sauce.