Refreshing citrus-y lemon cake topped with a dreamy lemon whipped cream - a summertime treat. Enjoy more this summer thanks to Samantha!
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- ¾ (150g) cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 tbsp. Lemon Juice (about 1 lemon)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup (215g) O.Live Co. Olive Oil (use the organic one!)
- ½ cup (120g) Whole Milk (room temperature)
- 1 ¾ cups (225g) Cake Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Heavy whipping cream (35%)
- ½ cup (58g) Powdered Sugar
- 3 tsp. Lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare your pan. Grab a 9” round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment. Spray with cooking spray and lightly coat with flour. Set aside
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add salt and whisk until incorporated.
- Add the room temp eggs and granulated sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Beat on medium high speed (speed 4) for 2 minutes, then increase to speed 6 for 2 minutes (the mixture should be light in color and fluffy).
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest and beat on low speed for 30 seconds or until incorporated.
- On medium high speed, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream.
- Once the olive oil is incorporated, on low speed, begin alternating the dry ingredients and the milk.
- Add 1/3rd of the dry ingredients, ½ of the milk, and repeat, ensuring to end with the dry ingredients.
- Turn mixer off and give the batter a brief mix with a spatula, ensuring to scrape the bottom and sides.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. Using a skewer, check at the 40 minute mark for doneness.
- Once done, allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Remove from pan and allow to completely cool on cooling rack.
- Prepare the lemon whipped cream topping.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Add in the lemon juice and beat on high speed for another 30 seconds
- Using an offset spatula, spread the whipped cream onto cooled cake and top with lemon rind shavings or lemon slices (if desired).