Sauces, salsas and condiments are the best way to dress up a simple meal or throw some extra flavor into your lunchbox. This roasted tomatillo salsa is a great way to use up the last of your summer garden ingredients and will store sealed in the fridge all winter long. It is a great way to add a fresh taste to boring cold weather recipes.
Not only is this salsa bright and spicy, but it is also a great way to add flavor without messing up your diet. Using O-Live extra virgin olive oil gives you a great source of healthy fat, and highlights the acid of the tomatillos and spice of the jalapeños perfectly.
We roast all of the ingredients in olive oil first to caramelize them and bring out a sweeter deeper flavor profile. After we cook the tomatillos, jalapeño, garlic and onion we will add them to a blender with fresh cilantro and raw olive oil to keep it feeling fresh and light. Whether you use it for enchiladas, dipping grilled chicken or just eating with a spoon you will use this roasted salsa verde recipe for years to come.
- 1 lb of green tomatillos
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 jalapeño (or more depending on how spicy you’d like it)
- 2 tbsp +1 tbsp O-Live everyday olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Husk and wash the tomatillos (they can be a little sticky), cut any large ones in half. Half the jalapeño, quarter the onion and peel the garlic.
- Toss the tomatillos, garlic, onion, and jalapeño in 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until charred slightly.
- Once cooled, add all of the roasted vegetables into the bowl of a blender or food processor. Add fresh cilantro and cayenne pepper then pulse until it cilantro is fully incorporated. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as necessary. Pulse until it is at your desired consistency.