Let’s celebrate π with Pie 🥧! We know it’s a bit of a geeky holiday to celebrate, but we’ll take any excuse to make a delicious recipe 🍰 Our favorite thing about Pie is that you can fill it with whatever you want! What team are you? Sweet or savory? 👀
Here's our favorite Pie Crust recipe and 3(.14) filling ideas 👇🏼
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2/3 cups O-Live Olive Oil
- 2 2/3 cups Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 6 Tbsp. Milk
- In a large bowl, add the flour and salt, mix to combine.
- Start adding the O-Live Olive Oil into the flour mix, while combining genlty with a fork. Inmediatly add the milk and mix untill combined.
*Place half of the dough between two sheets of wax paper and roll untill thin. Do the same with the other half. Now you can make a large pie if you want, you just need to place de dough in your cooking pan, fill it and place the other half on top!
- In this case, we are making mini pies, so we'll use a cupcake tin. To make this mini versions, you'll have to roll the whole dough untill thin, and use a circular cookie cutter or any circular lid to cut circles out of dough.
- Press each dough circle into the bottom of the muffin tin, leaving a tiny rim of dough sticking out at the top.
- Fill each cup until nearly full, about 1/4 cup, with pie filling (3 recipes down below)
- Use the remaining dough to create a top crust to cover each pie, in this case we are making Pi π simbols!
Brush the tops of each pie with the whisked egg, and bake for at least 15 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden.
Filling 1: Key Lime Pie
In this case you have to bake the bottom half of the pie crust for 15 minutes, wait for it to cool down and add the key lime filling.
Whisk together 1/3 cup cream, 2 teaspoons lime zest, ½ cup lime juice, 1 can of condensed milk, 1 egg and 2 egg yolks, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl until smooth. Pour mixture into the cooled crust. Bake 15 minutes more. Remove from oven; let cool 15 minutes. Refrigerate 2 hours or until set.
Filling 2: Berry Pie
Mix ½ a cup of flour and ½ a cup of white sugar together in a large bowl, and add 3 ½ cups of berries, stir gently to coat. Spoon berry mixture into the bottom crust in the muffin tin. Then sprinkle some berries on top. Cover with remaining crust and brush. In this case we recomend you brush with milk and sprinkle some sugar on top. Bake 15 minutes.
Filling 3: Pecan Pie
Spread 1 ½ cups of pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet, bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted. In a bowl, stir together 3 eggs, 1 cup sugar, ¾ cup light or dark corn syrup, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and ½ teaspoon salt; stir in pecans. Pour filling into pie shell and bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until set.
Which one is your favorite? 🥧