Rich onion-y broth, topped with gooey gruyere cheese and crunchy baguette? Sign me up! Upgrade your soup game this year with this flavor-packed recipe by Salima from Salima's Kitchen.
- 4 sweet onions
- 2 tbsp O-Live & Co. Everyday Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp flour (gluten free flour works too)
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups beef stock
- 3 bay leafs
- 4 sprigs thyme (dry thyme works too)
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp O-Live & Co. Everyday Olive Oil
- 1 baguette (I used a gluten free baguette), sliced
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Additional sprigs of thyme to garnish with
- Begin by peeling and thinly chopping onions. In a heavy bottomed stock pot melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in onions and salt and caramelize for 25-30 minutes over medium high heat, stirring every 3-4 minutes until they are brown and soft in texture. Be careful not to over-mix as this can result in mushy onions.
- Once the onions are caramelized, sprinkle in flour, cook off for a minute then add wine and simmer until the wine reduces by half. Stir in balsamic vinegar, thyme, bay leaf and beef stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower to a simmer for an additional 25-30 minutes minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, slice and brush the baguette slices with more olive oil. Toast them lightly and grate the cheese.
- Taste the broth and add salt and pepper to your preferred taste. Spoon soup into small oven safe ramekins and top with a slice of baguette and a generous sprinkle of cheese. Broil for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Top with additional fresh thyme and enjoy!