Thanksgiving is right around the corner! You know what that means, right? It's time to start testing the recipes for your twice removed cousin-in-law's dietary restrictions. Keep reading for a recipe that everyone (yes that means picky, gluten-free, vegan Susie too) will love. Brought to you in collaboration with The Mindful Hapa.
serves: 4-6 people
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 75 minutes
1 Large sweet potato, peeled, and cut into 1” cubes (approx. 1 cup mashed)
2 Cloves of garlic
½ cup O-Live olive oil, divided
¾ cup Gluten free flour
1 tsp salt
¼ cup water
2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
optional: ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add peeled + cubed sweet potato, garlic cloves and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spread in a single layer on the parchment-lined baking tray, and move to the oven. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Or until you can easily pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Remove from the oven and let cool completely
- In a large food processor, blend sweet potatoes and garlic until a ball forms and there are no large pieces of potato visible. Add flour and salt and blend until there are no dry spots. If mixture doesn’t form a ball, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until a ball forms. You may not use all the water.
- When a ball forms, remove dough from the food processor and form into a flattened ball, approximately 1 ½” thick. Dough should not be sticky and should be easy to handle. Cut shape into equal quarters. Role each quarter into a ¾” diameter rope. Cut each rope into ¾” lengths. If desired, use a fork to imprint and flatten each length. These are your gnocchi!
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to boil. Add 15-20 pieces at a time to the boiling water. Remove from water into a colander once all the pieces are floating on top (2-3 min). Add drained gnocchi to a large bowl and toss with a tablespoon of olive oil. Repeat this process until all gnocchi have been boiled.
- To bowl, add ¼ cup olive oil and 2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves (can chop small or keep whole).
- Spread gnocchi in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking tray. (Optional: sprinkle shredded parmesan or other cheese over top of gnocchi). Move to the oven and bake at 450F, or until gnocchi begins to brown (~15-20 min.)
Recipe notes: Gnocchi can also be pan fried/sauteed in a skillet after boiling instead of baked.