Some recipes are worth the wait -- and this one definitely is! Start cooking on a weekend afternoon and have tender, fall of the bone pork ready for dinner.
- 1 bone-in Boston butt pork roast (8- to 10-pounds)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1 bottle mojo marinade (24-ounce)
- Spice Blend
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 TBSP dried thyme
- 1 TBSP dried oregano
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp achiote or paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1. Cut small slits over meat and insert garlic and olives.
2. Place meat in a large bowl.
3. Add mojo marinade to bowl.
4. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 days.
5. Remove meat from marinade. Discard marinade.
6. Pat pork dry and rub Spice Blend over pork.
7. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
8. Brown roast on all sides.
9. Scatter sliced onion around meat in bottom of the pan.
10. Cover and bake at 325° for 5 hours or until pork is tender. Meat should fall off the bone.
11. Serve with pan juices and onion, if desired.