This cucumber tomato salad is the best refreshing bite to serve as a side, salad, or appetizer on a hot day. It's made with a super simple lemon dressing, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, and fresh herbs.
This recipe was actually inspired by this Moroccan tomato salad and Moroccan cucumber salad, created by Salima’s Kitchen; the flavor that comes from such simple, high-quality ingredients is truly special and perfect for the upcoming warm summer months.
Here's what you'll need to make it:
- cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Persian cucumbers, sliced thinly
- red onion, sliced thinly
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- your favorite fresh herbs to garnish (basil, parsley, dill, etc.)
See recipe card for exact quantities.
How to Make the Salad
In a medium sized bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
To the bowl add sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion. Toss to coat with the dressing and serve topped with your favorite fresh herbs.
Hint: if making ahead of time, refrigerate and drain any excess liquid before serving.
What to Eat with It.
This salad goes great with a crusty toasted baguette or just as is. That said, I love pairing thissalad with something super savory and rich.
Here are some ideas:
- Arroz con Gandules
- Lamb Shank Tagine
This cucumber tomato salad is extremely adaptable. Feel free to play around with ingredients that feel like natural add ins to you.
Here are some of my favorites:
- Cheese - crumbled feta cheese or cotija goes really well with the crunchy veggies.
- Spicy Seasonings - add your favorite spices to give some extra dimension to this salad
(sazon, adobo, cumin, etc.)
- Kid Friendly - skip the red onion to make this salad more accessible to picky eaters
This cucumber tomato salad is best enjoyed fresh but can be made up to 1 day in advance. Make
sure to drain off any excess liquid before serving.